Monday, July 4, 2011

Where to begin??

The day after Van's birthday, we flew up to SLC, Utah because my parents were being set apart as Mission President and Mission Mom :) We left Van with my business partner, and good friend, Susan Cunningham over night (the first time we've done that!) Elder Holland set my dad apart, and the whole experience was so great. He was so personal, especially with my dad. You would have thought they were long time friends. He started out the setting apart with the words, "Beloved friend..." It was so sweet, and one of my favorite parts of the blessing! When my mom got set apart, Elder Holland bent the rules a bit and let my brothers, brother-in-law, and Ryan join in the circle. He even let my youngest brother Brian join in, telling him "You just stand next to us" since he's not yet an elder. It was so special, and such a great experience for all of them to say that they have stood with an Apostle of the Lord during a setting apart!
My Dad, Mom, Elder Holland, and Elder Gonzales.

Rich, Brian, Lindsay (whose wonderful hubby Darren flew her in for Van's b-day and the setting apart!), Sister Sue (my dad's mission mom), G'ma Heagle, Dad, Mom, Elder Holland, Melanie, Larry, Adam, Kelli, Me, and Ryan.

Sister Sue asked Elder Holland if she could tell a story of my dad when he was first on his mission, and I'm so glad she did because I had never heard it before. Here's the story:
About 3 days into his mission, the new Elders were having dinner with the Mission Pres and Sis Sue. My dad stood up and said, "I need to work twice as hard while on my mission for my twin brother" (who passed away when they were 16 of a heart attack playing church basketball). And then she said, "He DID work twice as hard, and should be very proud!"

I feel so blessed to have parents like this, who have always been such great examples to me! I've looked up to them my whole life. I'm glad they got to stay with Ryan and I for their last few days while here in the USA (their house was packed up and didn't have ANY furniture)! I love them so much and will miss them, and my brother, Brian so much while they are gone. However, I know that this is where they are supposed to be, serving the Lord. It also helps to know we can Skype them! :) Love you, Mom, Dad, and Brian!

Ry and I took a drive on Wednesday before heading back home, and it was beautiful... the perfect end to our little trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment