Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sweet Baby Boy

Since both my mother and mother-in-law are out of the country serving missions, we flew my sister Lindsay down from Utah to help out once the baby was born. I didn't have the baby by my due date of Sunday the 4th, so I was supposed to go in for a scheduled induction on Monday the 5th at 5:00am... That didn't happen. We waited around all day for the phone call, took a walk, watched a movie, took naps, and then Lindsay and I walked around the Mall with Van. All day I had been having contractions, but nothing consistent or painful enough to go to the hospital. We met Ryan at Olive Garden that night for some dinner, where we took our last picture as a family of 3.
 The next morning, Tuesday the 6th (Election Day) the hospital FINALLY called and said we could come in! We of course stopped to vote (drop our ballots in the box) on our way there...
 By the time we got into the room and they got me started on pitocin, it was around 12:30p.m. My nurse Beth was awesome, so nice, and did an awesome job. Especially during the epidural when the anesthesiologist had to poke me 5 times with that needle! 
Once I hit a 6, it went so fast! Before we knew it I was at a 10... I pushed through 4 contractions, and that baby was out! Lindsay barely made it into the room to witness everything. I was shocked at how fast everything went, but also extremely grateful because his cord was wrapped around his little neck twice! When they first put him on me, I thought he looked exactly like Van, but then once the nurse cleaned him up and brought him back, he had his own little look to him. He was born at 6:04 p.m. weighed 8lbs 1oz, and was 20.5 inches long. 

The first moments when Van saw him were so precious, and I am thankful that we got it all on film.  He is so sweet towards his baby brother, and loves him so much already.
 Love my doctor, Dr. Layton... he's the greatest!
 I am so grateful for all those who came to visit us (sad we didn't get pictures of everyone!) It means a lot to me to know that we are so loved.
 It wasn't until the next morning that we decided on the name of Tye Robert Hicken, and I think it suits him quite nicely. The pic after this is Van "reading" to Tye...
My sweet little Van... There's nothing like your very first child, and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to love Tye as much as I do Van. Not only do I love little Tye so much, but when I witnessed Van with him for the first time, it completely added to my joy above and beyond what I thought was possible.
Being that this month is Thanksgiving, (but even if it weren't) I am SO grateful for my new little family. I am grateful for the love and joy they bring to my life. I am grateful for a husband who is such a rockstar in the delivery room, and who would do anything for me! I am grateful for the knowledge that the Gospel gives me, that families are forever. I am grateful my sister could be here, not only to witness the miracle of birth, but to help out with Van. It meant the world to me that she was here, and we both bawled like babies when it was time for her to leave. I am grateful for both my parents and Ryan's parents, and although we were sad they could not be here in person, I am also grateful for the technology we have today and the ability to Skype, and hopefully Tye will not grow too big before they are able to see him!! 

1 comment:

  1. So precious! Thanks for sharing. Love the name and the pictures are adorable. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete